Tuesday, June 14, 2016
Monday, May 30, 2016
When it comes to traveling to a destination that fits your green lifestyle and sustainability ethos, the picturesque seaside village of Carmel-by-the-Sea, California, may just be the ideal location for you.
Carmel has long been a haven for artists, poets, writers and actors, folks who follow their own muse. It's also been a green community almost before the term green became popular, not only by ardently preserving its historical and cultural assets, but also its natural wonders, from its verdant canopy of trees to the pristine white sands of Carmel Beach.
City ordinances and building codes prevent overdevelopment and over-commercialization, for example, there are no sidewalks or streetlights in residential areas, no stop lights downtown, no commercial development on the beach and no neon is permitted in business signs.
Locals and businesses alike are committed to preserving the small-village charm and ambiance of Carmel, from recycling and water-saving measures to offering local produce and sustainable seafood in its restaurants.
So whatever term you prefer, green travel, sustainable travel, socially responsible travel or simply looking out for Mother Earth, Carmel may just be the perfect green destination for you.
Thursday, April 28, 2016
Along with the nearby Monterey Bay Aquarium and nature-friendly Point Lobos, there's a world of fun for kid’s right here in Carmel-by-the-Sea. Outdoors or in, a host of activities keep young visitors happily occupied from morning 'til bedtime.
Here are our favorite family friendly activities:
- Explore Carmel's beautiful white sand beach and adjacent tide pools.
- Take a hike through Forest Hill Park and Mission Trail Park.
- Attend surf school. Drop by the Carmel Youth Center.
- Rent bikes. The Hofsas House Hotel concierge can you help you coordinate.
- Take in 9 holes or a golf lessons for kids at the Peter Hay Golf Course at Pebble Beach.
- Picnic and hike at Point Lobos!
- Rent a family kayak from Adventures by the Sea.
- Young artists can make their own creations at Glazes Studio, a colorful, fun, and playful place for kids of all ages.
- And be sure to visit the very cool Carmel Children's Library.
Our staff is frequently asked that they like to do with their families. Here are our staffs Family Friendly Picks … drumroll please.
Mission San Carlos Borromeo del Rio Carmelo
The beautifully restored Carmel Mission. Still a working church and school, take time to explore the park-like grounds. Even young ones will appreciate the quietness of the Basilica, even if for just a few minutes. Direct your kids to the nativity scene in the back left-corner of the Basilica. According to volunteers it’s like no other in the world, because of something tastefully hidden in it’s midst. Challenge your kids (and yourself) to figure out what “it” is. (I don’t want to give away the surprise.) Check it out, if you’re stumped, grab a volunteer to help in the search.
Tree-lined Ocean Avenue is a shopper’s dream. Start in the park across the street from Tiffany and Co. Once the kids have rolled around in the grass for a bit, start window shopping your way to the waves. Kids don’t like to shop? No worries. Have them count the dogs. Trust me, there’s so many, they’ll lose count more than once. Even better, have your kids hunt for the numerous water bowls hidden among the flowers for thirsty hounds out on the town. Dogs dig Carmel.
Carmel-by-the-Sea has one of the most beautiful beaches. Just keep heading down Ocean Drive, and you’ll be rewarded. The beach is leash-free, so dogs and kids run freely in the sand. Ask for a free Frisbee to take with you to the beach.
Share your favorite family friendly activities to do in Carmel-by-the-Sea on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/hofsashousehotel.
Summer is almost here. How will you plan your family’s summer get away?
Saturday, April 16, 2016
"Experience Big Sur hiking trails ranging from tranquil walks along a coastal waterfall to miles-long ascents through the redwoods and into the rugged wilderness or take in magnificent Point Lobos State Park. After a day of hiking the Big Sur coastline, guests relax in the hotel’s heated swimming pool or European dry saunas. Package includes a $25 gift certificate for Carmel’s 5th Avenue Deli. Offer valid from April 1 thru May 31, 2016 with a minimum of a two (2)-night stay. Mention HHNature at booking. Offer not valid with any other discounts, promotions or thru a third party booking agent.
Monday, March 28, 2016
Celebrate Carmel-by-the-Sea’s 100thAnniversary and Hofsas House Hotels 69thAnniversary with our History Tour! Delight in the special charms of Carmel on a leisurely, fun and informative two-hour guided walk past enchanting Fairy-tale cottages, through secret pathways, hidden courtyards and award-winning gardens. At the end of the tour, you’ll feel like a local. Cost is $25 per person. When booking use promotion code: HHWALKS.
Thursday, February 25, 2016
Third Night's A Charm
Book 3 nights and the 3rd is 1/3 off. A getaway is always a wonderful break…they just don’t last long enough. At Hofsas House we know the 3rd nights a charm.
Subject to availability. Minimum of three (3)-night stay required. Savings reflected in rate at time of booking. If modifications to reservation are made during your hotel stay (e.g. early departure), the promotion is void and your rate will be adjusted to the rate of the day. Taxes and gratuities not included. Offer not applicable to groups, negotiated or third-party rates. Not combinable with any other offers. Not applicable to existing reservations. Blackout dates apply. Offer valid from February – March, 2016 excluding holidays and AT&T golf week. Mention Code HHCHARM when booking.
Thursday, January 28, 2016
Hofsas House Hotel Family Celebrates Spring With Its Sixth Annual Fundraiser For The Food Bank For Monterey County on Thursday, March 24th, 2016
In Carmel-by-the-Sea, the Theis family is celebrating more than six decades of European hospitality at its beautiful Bavarian-inspired Hofsas House Hotel, which is as charming as the town itself. With firm roots in the past, the family is looking toward the future by keeping abreast of guests’ every need.
Owner and General Manager, Carrie Theis, announced today that you are invited to celebrate Summer at the Hofsas House with its Sixth Annual Fundraiser for The Food Bank For Monterey County on Thursday, March 24th, 2016. Enjoy a fun evening!
Savor appetizers from local Chef’s including Chef Steve Johnson from TusCA Ristorante at the Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa, Chef Evan Lite from Beach House at Lover’s Point and Chef Brandon Miller from Mundaka. Enjoy chocolates from Lula’s Chocolates and cookies from Sweet Elena’s. Sip a glass of award winning Wines Scheid Vineyards or taste some of Mad Otter’s signature beer. Listen to the sounds of stringed instruments of Terrence Ferrell. Support the Food Bank For Monterey County.
Where: Hofsas House at San Carlos & 4th Ave Carmel - by - the- Sea poolside!
When: Thursday, March 24thh, 2016
Time: 5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Cost: $50 per person
Reservations: Limited reservations available. Call Carrie at the Hofsas House (831) 624-2745 to make a reservation.
All proceeds benefit the Food Bank For Monterey County . Donations allowed without your presence. The Food Bank for Monterey County, a certified Feeding America food bank, is the largest supplier of emergency food in Monterey County . We distribute 6 million pounds of food annually. The national image of our area is one of wealth and beauty. Yet poverty and food insecurity exist in the “Salad Bowl of the World.” The challenge is great and we strive to meet it on a daily basis.
Monday, December 28, 2015
So many of us add “travel more” to our list of yearly resolutions! Whether it is somewhere close by, a beautiful beach or international destination, tell the Hofsas House where you’d love to visit and why? Post pictures of your ideal destination on a Pinterest board and our favorite board with win a 2-night stay at the Hofsas House hotel!
To enter the contest simply:
Pin It To Win It!
- Follow us on Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/hofsashouse/
- Create A Board Titled: Time to Travel!
- Add a minimum of 5 pictures of your favorite quotes with the hashtag #HofsasHouseGetaways
- Email a link your board to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- One lucky winner will win a 2-night stay at our hotel!
- Enter to win between January 1st and January 30th. Winner announced on February 5th.
- Includes Hotel stay only- airfare, transportation, meals and other amenities not included.
Thursday, December 10, 2015
Monday, November 30, 2015
The Theis family is celebrating more than six decades of European hospitality at its beautiful Bavarian-inspired Hofsas House Hotel, which is as charming as the town itself. With firm roots in the past, the family is looking toward the future by keeping abreast of guests’ every need. The hotel has announced their 2016 packages. 2016 is the 100-year anniversary of Carmel-by-the-Sea. For any packages in 2016 add on a 100 Years of Carmel-by-the-Sea history book for $10.00.
Carmel-by-the-Sea Celebrates 100 Years:
Celebrate Carmel-by-the-Sea’s 100th Anniversary and Hofsas House Hotels 69th Anniversary with our History Tour! Delight in the special charms of Carmel on a leisurely, fun and informative two-hour guided walk past enchanting Fairy-tale cottages, through secret pathways, hidden courtyards and award-winning gardens. At the end of the tour, you’ll feel like a local. Cost is $25 per person. When booking use promotion code: HHWALKS.
Get Artsy Package
For decades, Carmel, California has been an artist’s enclave! Today there are more than 80 art galleries in walking distance from the hotel. The Hofsas House Hotel is no exception and has been touched by one of the World’s most famous artists. Did you know? Maxine Albro was commissioned by Donna Hofsas to paint the welcoming mural and the headboard featured in room 47 of the Hofsas House. In the 1940s and 1950s, Maxine was living in Carmel and was friends with Donna. After the main four-story addition to the Hofsas House was complete in 1957, Donna asked Maxine to paint the mural and add other highlights to the front of the building to enhance the Bavarian theme. Maxine also painted the three pictures hanging in the lobby.
The Hofsas House Get’s Artsy with its special Artist Package. Stay in the Room 47 – the room Maxine Albro painted! Carmel continues to be an artist colony and attracts some of the World’s most famous artists. The Hofsas House is located within blocks of one of the World’s most premiere sculptors. As part of the hotels Get Artsy package, guests will have the opportunity to meet local Carmel sculpture Steven Whyte (subject to his availability) and take a personal tour of his studio (located only two blocks away from the Hofsas House). Steven Whyte’s studio tours are subject to the artist’s availability. Call Hofsas House the Hofsas House to book this package. Guests can also experience the new Carmel Art Tours, www.carmelarttours.com, 800-979-3370,for $25 per person, reservations required and this tour can also be arranged in advance by the Hotel staff.
Third Night's A Charm
Book 3 nights and the 3rd is 1/3 off. A getaway is always a wonderful break…they just don’t last long enough. At Hofsas House we know the 3rd nights a charm. Subject to availability. Minimum of three (3)-night stay required. Savings reflected in rate at time of booking. If modifications to reservation are made during your hotel stay (e.g. early departure), the promotion is void and your rate will be adjusted to the rate of the day. Taxes and gratuities not included. Offer not applicable to groups, negotiated or third-party rates. Not combinable with any other offers. Not applicable to existing reservations. Blackout dates apply. Offer valid from November thru February excluding holidays and AT&T golf week. Mention Code HHCHARM when booking.
The Hofsas House Hotel has partnered with one of the Monterey Peninsula’s best golf courses. Book a stay and add a round of golf at the recently renovated and immaculate green grasses of the historic Quail Lodge Golf Club! Play an 18-hole round of golf including shared cart and range balls for an additional $100 per person. When booking use promotion code HHQUAIL and let us know what day you would like to play and whether you would prefer an AM or PM tee time. Our staff will make the arrangements. Tee times based on the availability of the Quail Lodge Golf Course.
Wine and Cheese Package
Stay at the Hofsas House and order our special wine and cheese package for $30. Enjoy a bottle of Monterey County Wine and a cheese pairing from the Cheese Shop when you order the Wine and Cheese Package in advance. Please order 48 hours in advance of stay and specify red or white wine. In addition, taste wines at nine different Carmel tasting rooms on the Wine Walk by-the-Sea with a Wine Tasting Passport. The Carmel Wine Walk by-the-Sea is pleased to offer a Wine Tasting Passport for $65, which entitles the buyer to one $10 flight at each of nine tasting rooms (a $90 value). The Wine Passport can be purchased from our concierge after checking in.
Tail Wagging Package:
Hofsas House is one of the most dog friendly hotels in Carmel. Guests receive a complimentary Doggie Welcome Package upon arrival that includes:
· Hofsas House Dog Frisbee
· Hofsas House collapsible dog bowl
· Special Dog Bed
· Letter from Cajun. our onsite Pet Concierge
· Special dog amenities package
· Tips and recommendations for your four legged friends stay
· Walking Trail and Hiking Guide
· A package of treats.
· Coastal Canine Magazine—offering the best four legged options for visiting Carmel
Minimum two (2)-night stay. $25 fee per night for one dog and $40 per night for two.
Take a Hike at the Hofsas House Hotel
Experience Big Sur hiking trails ranging from tranquil walks along a coastal waterfall to miles-long ascents through the redwoods and into the rugged wilderness or take in magnificent Point Lobos State Park. After a day of hiking the Big Sur coastline, guests relax in the hotel’s heated swimming pool or European dry saunas. Package includes a $25 gift certificate for Carmel’s 5th Avenue Deli. Offer valid from March 1 thru May 31, 2016 with a minimum of a two (2)-night stay. Mention HHNature at booking. Offer not valid with any other discounts, promotions or thru a third party booking agent.
Monday, November 23, 2015
Every holiday season our family has traditions. This year we want to share what makes our holidays sparkle. We hope you enjoy!
1. Walking the streets of Carmel-by-the-Sea To Look At Christmas Lights. Take a stroll and soak it all in!
2. Christmas Movie Night! Celebrate Xmas with Clark Griswold, Charlie Brown and The Grinch. What is your favorite holiday movie?
3. Buying And Picking Out The Family Christmas Tree and Decorating. Ahhh the memories. Stop by and check out the Hofsas House lobby tree!
4. Putting out Santa's Cookies and Milk. Don't let Santa leave on an empty stomach.
5. Baking Christmas Cookies. Home baked cookies all the way.
6. Hanging the Christmas lights. You don't have to go all out, but a little color is a must.
7. And our favorite Theis Family tradition is ... Christmas Dinner. Christmas traditions start at the dinner table.
Wednesday, October 28, 2015
Hofsas House Hotel Celebrates The Holidays With Their Fourth Annual Gingerbread Making Fundraiser For The Carmel Library Foundation.
The Theis family is celebrating more than six decades of European hospitality at its beautiful Bavarian-inspired Hofsas House Hotel, which is as charming as the town itself. With firm roots in the past, the family is looking toward the future by keeping abreast of guests’ every need.
You are invited to celebrate The Holidays with the Hofsas House at their Fourth Annual Fundraiser for The Carmel Library Foundation with a Gingerbread Making afternoon for the family.
Create a gingerbread house to take home and display throughout the holidays. Children will receive one gingerbread making kit, hot cider and a cookie for a $25 donation to the Carmel Library Foundation. Adults that want to attend will receive a glass of wine of award winning Monterey County wines from Twisted Roots Winery and can enjoy a gourmet cheese and fruit and tray for a $10 donation to the Carmel Library Foundation. Additional glasses of wine can be purchased for a $5.00 donation to the Carmel Library Foundation. (The $10 donation for adults does not include decorating a gingerbread house.)
Where: Hofsas House at San Carlos & 4th Ave. Carmel-by-the-Sea at the meeting room poolside!
When: Saturday, December 5th, 2015 (Two Times: Sign up for 10:30 a.m. or 1:30 p.m.)
Reservations: Limited reservations available. Call Carrie at the Hofsas House (831) 624-2745 to make a reservation.
Sunday, October 11, 2015
Hofsas House is excited to announce we are on Instagram!
Follow us at @HofsasHouse and our hashtag is #HofsasHouse
Friday, September 25, 2015
You are invited to celebrate The Holidays with our Fourth Annual Fundraiser for The #CarmelLibraryFoundation with a #Gingerbread making afternoon for the family! Create a gingerbread house to take home and display throughout the #holidays. Children will receive one gingerbread making kit, hot cider and a cookie for a $25 donation to the Carmel Library Foundation. Adults that want to attend will receive a glass of wine of award winning Monterey County wines from #TwistedRootsWinery.
Wednesday, August 26, 2015
Wine Tasting with friends is always a good time and we are fortunate to live in California with so many wineries to choose from. Share your fun pics out wine tasting on our Pinterest Page all month long and our favorite post will win a one-night stay with a Carmel-by-the-Sea Wine Passport to enjoy the #CarmelWineWalk! We will also choose two other winners to receive the Wine Passport to enjoy the Carmel Wine Walk! Happy Posting!
- Follow us on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/hofsashouse
- Pin your wine tasting images and don’t forget to use the hashtags #HofsasHouse and #CaliforniaWineMonth
- Email a link to email@example.com
- One lucky winner will receive a one-night stay at our beautiful hotel in Carmel and two other winners we receive passes to enjoy the Carmel Wine Walk!
- Contest runs September 1st-September 30th. Winner announced October 5th.
Wednesday, July 29, 2015
“LOCAL’S FAVORITES WINE FRIDAY’S”
SEPTEMBER 18TH – BLAIR WINERY
Join the Hofsas House throughout 2015 at its poolside meeting room to sip local wines, enjoy small bites and support Peace of Mind Dog Rescue!
• Upcoming Wine Tasting Schedule 2015
◦ September 18 - Blair Winery
◦ November 20 - Twisted Roots
• Sip Carmel-by-the-Sea "Local's Favorites" featuring wines from Monterey County and local
• Carmel-by-the-Sea Tasting Rooms. Each month we will feature a local wine that we love!
• Enjoy nibbles.
• Support the Peace of Mind Dog Rescue. Peace of Mind Dog Rescue is a resource and advocate for senior dogs and senior people on the Central Coast. We find loving homes for dogs whose guardians can no longer care for them and for senior dogs in shelters. Since October 2009, POMDR has rescued over 700 dogs left behind.
• 5:30 - 7:00 p.m.
• Cost: $15.00 per person and includes one glass of wine and nibbles.
• Additional glasses of wine can be purchased for $5.00 per glass.
• 100% of the proceeds benefit the Peace of Mind Dog Rescue.
Space is limited to 40 attendees. Reservations required. To make a reservation, have them contact me at 831-624-2745 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thursday, June 25, 2015
The Hofsas House Invites You To Get Out And Bike! (Available All Year)
The Hofsas House invites you to celebrate the unique power of the bicycle and the many reasons we ride. One of General Manager Carrie Thies' favorite bike routes is about five miles that goes from the Hofsas House, down to Scenic Avenue going south along the Carmel Bay and to the Carmel River. Stop by the Carmel Mission for a bit of history and go along Rio Road and cross Highway 1 and have lunch at Rio Grill. The grilled artichoke is the best!
We can have bikes delivered to the Hotel for a half day or entire day rental or we can arrange to have you pick them up in Monterey near the Coastal Bike Path for a half a day rental.
Special Offer includes 2 Hybrid Bikes with gears for 4 hours for the price of one, a $27 savings, with any two night stay. With 24 hours notice, the bikes can be delivered to the hotel.
Enjoy This Hofsas House Pick! Best Sunday Ride -
Depart the Hofsas House Hotel and bike down to Mission Ranch for Sunday Brunch. Cruise down Ocean Avenue and then follow Scenic Drive around the bluffs of Carmel to the Carmel River Beach. Stop and enjoy the scenery of Point Lobos, check out the birding spot and continue biking through the quaint residential streets of Carmel-by-the-Sea to Mission Ranch! Brunch is served. Ahhh the perfect Sunday.
Don't Forget to Ride Your Bike on Thursdays. Receive Special Offers at Local Restaurants!
Thursday, May 21, 2015
10 Best Things To Do In Carmel
Without a Car
Might this be a start to a new way of foot sensitive vacationing?
10 Best Things to Do in Carmel (WITHOUT A CAR!!)
- Walk on the beach and finish your night with a glass of wine .
- Bus ride (Route 22) down PCH to Big Sur and back, stop at Point Lobos, Rocky Point, Andrew Molera State Park, the town of Big Sur, and Nepenthe. Ask our concierge or manager for hike recommendations. Check for road conditions and route service to Big Sur!
- Bus ride ("Grapevine Express" Route 24) to Carmel Valley and back, stop at Chateau Jullien, Mid-Valley, and Carmel Valley Village. Finish the day with free wine tastings at various partnering tasting rooms in the town of Carmel, courtesy of the Hofsas House.
- Take a 20-minute stroll down to the Carmel Mission and tour the Carmel Mission Museum .
- Go on a Carmel Walks tour to learn about the history of Carmel and some of our unique City ordinances.
- Combine food, wine, chocolate and history of Carmel by taking the Carmel Food Tour.
- Go to the Carmel Cheese Shop to sample cheeses from around the world. It is hard to select just one and then purchase a matching wine to take to the beach to watch the sunset.
- Learn about the famous poet, Robinson Jeffers, by taking the Tor House Tour.
- Happy Hour Tour: Ask our concierge to direct you to an assortment of happy hours (e.g., Vesuvio Restaurant, Barmel, Jack London's, Il Fornio and many more) right in town for discounted drinks and appetizers, and then finish off the night with a special entre at one of our favorite places to eat.
- Arrange a surf lesson for half of the day at Carmel Beach. A professional surfer will take you out and ensure a safe and enjoyable time learning to surf Carmel's amazing waves!
Did you know the average car causes 600 pounds of air pollution every year? A recent AAA holiday report cited a decline in car travel and a shift towards alternative modes of transportation. Biking and low-cost interstate bus travel are on the rise. Might this be the start of a new era of footprint-sensitive vacationing? (Let's think positive and say, "Yes.")
Here are some reasons walking is better than driving:
- It saves money on gas. Lots of it.
- It saves the planet. You'd be doing your bit to save the world.
- It saves on parking. Don't you just hate having to pay for parking?
- It's free. The pleasure of knowing you are getting something for nothing while other people have to pay is not the same as benefiting from saving money. It's even better.
- It's good exercise. The benefits are obvious. Ask your doctor.
- You'll get more fresh air. It's the best kind.
- Walking is fun - and here are some tips for making it even better...
So, where should you take your next car-free getaway? The Theis Family offers the top 10 things to do without a car in Carmel-by-the-Sea. When was the last time you want on a vacation without a car in California?
Thursday, April 23, 2015
Celebrating more than six decades of European hospitality at the beautiful Bavarian-inspired, the Theis family are the proud recipients of the "Fido's Favorite" award from BringFido.com! This award is given for achieving an excellent rating of 4 out of 5 "bones" from BringFido.com customers in the last 12 months. BringFido.com is the #1 pet travel site on the Internet helping pet lovers find travel arrangements for humans and their four-legged friends. As animal lovers ourselves, we’re delighted that such a place exists!
BringFido.com is a dog travel directory that provides unbiased reviews, detailed pet policy information, and online reservations at more than 25,000 pet friendly hotels through a partnership with Travelocity. Information is also available on thousands of bed & breakfasts, vacation rentals, and campgrounds that welcome pets in 150 countries worldwide.
Thursday, March 26, 2015
The Hofsas House Hotel has partnered with two of the Monterey Peninsula's best golf courses. Book a night stay and add on a round of golf.
- Experience the immaculate green grasses of the historic Quail Lodge Golf Club. Play a 9-hole round of golf for two including shared cart and range balls. Cost is an additional $50.00. When booking use promotion code: HHQUAIL
- NCGA sanctioned Poppy Hills Golf Course in Pebble Beach is newly renovated and re-opened in April 2014. Cost is an additional $185 to the room per golfer and includes cart (savings of $50.00). In addition, Poppy Hills offers free use of brand new state of the art Taylor Made rental clubs (an $85.00 value). Call for the NCGA rate. When booking use promotion code: HHPOPPY